Altschul Recipe Database: Rice Pudding
Recipe: Rice Pudding
This is a Dessert Dish.
Full Recipe: Culinary Types
Return to Main Recipe List
rice milk raisins
Mary Dís Notoriously-Good Rice Pudding 2 cups water 1 cup rice Dash salt 5 tablespoons butter 5 cups milk 3 eggs ĺ cup (plus a bit more) sugar Vanilla to taste (about 2 teaspoons) Ĺ cup raisins (optional)
1. Boil the water. Add the butter, salt and rice. Continue boiling mixture for 7 minutes stirring often.
2. After the 7 minutes, stir mixture again making sure none is stuck to the bottom. Then add 5 cups of milk and turn flame on high for a few minutes to get things going. Keep stirring.
3. When the mixture heats up pretty well, turn heat way down and simmer covered for one hour, stirring often.
4. While that is simmering, combine eggs, sugar and vanilla and beat with a whisk until well blended. Youíre gonna bake in this so you should be using a large oven-proof bowl or casserole.
5. The rice mixture is done when youíve got a nice thick consistency. At that point, pour the rice mixture into the egg mixture stirring vigorously. When that is thoroughly mixed, add raisins and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.